Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianC

451 Actual Realistic Mileage, Anyone?

187 posts in this topic

I posted some numbers at http://www.100mpg.ca

I was able to get 4.0 and lower in my drive between Prince George BC and SK... and that was with 175/195 tires as opposed to 155/175. So I think 3.7 is achievable in highway situations if you drive 80. The car has a bit over 30,000 kms on it, so it is broken in finally.

I am planning on switching the wheels from my canada1 over to the 451 - that would give me 135/70 on the front and 155/60 on the rear.... That should be interesting for fuel economy... I reckon a 3.1 is possible in the 451 in ideal conditionsAs an aside, I'm going to take the car on my next trip to PG, and probably exchange panels in Kelowna with Steven at smartieparts....

We are getting about 5.7L/100km on average...The best tank we've got is 4.8L/100km going from Toronto to Kingston at about 100km/h speeds and A/C on all the way.

Wow! Love these posts for gas mileage well I have a (451) 2009 Smart Car fortwo Passion Coupe and even though I live in Canada and have a US car showing miles, temp Fahrenheit, and gallons... I've been getting this winter combo city/hwy 33 miles/gallon.The car only has 6,000 miles its just a baby still. Does the fuel consumption get better? Any tips to improve gas mileage?

post-10745-1326911427_thumb.jpg

33 US MPG? Because if that's Imperial gallons, my Mercedes B Class does better, by far (39 MPG lifetime). We need more information to give you any useful tips.

I have managed just 6.74 in January 2012 over 5000 kms. That is 34.9 MPG US. Temps as low as -39 celcius, speed up to 120 kmh when possible, and this is with a 2 inch lift and larger tires. (I have correct the distance to match GPS, they are 9.3% out, ie: too low)

Try here for more info on how to get better mileage:

http://100mpg.ca/hypermiling-for-better-fuel-economy/

You might also enjoy having some fuel economy instrumentation, such as a Scangauge.

This is also my observation since I had a sprint and a turbo sprint and a metro all using a 3 Cyl. Engine Heavier Car and higher ccm but better Fuel economy than my Smart.

I suppose Suzuki build better Engines than the newer Tech. Mitsubishi.

All that electronic crap just don't make things go better. I really liked my Turbo Sprint and if it was still obtainable I would scrap my Smart.

Hate to say it, but I was getting 4.9 liters/100k in my old 95 geo metro (same as Suzuki Swift) with its similar sized 3cyl 1000cc engine. Didn't run hot either, and was terrifically dependable. Seems like the new 451 isn't doing significantly better with 2 fewer seats, less car, and 13 years of new technology to play with. And a lot higher price tag. The 451 sure seems like a great DD for urban areas, but regarding fuel economy I'd expect better.

I really liked my Turbo Sprint and if it was still obtainable I would scrap my Smart.

OK now you sound like a troll.

TROLL ,I dont know what you mean by that.I just expressed my Observation and Feelings is that alright with you?Don't go calling people by Names this is outright impolite.Ill leave it by that Have a nice Day.

OK now you sound like a troll.

Really going to SCRAP the smart, because it doesn't Measure Up? Sheesh

Don't go calling people by Names this is outright impolite.

Evidently you are very new to the internets. When you scrap the smart you may wish to do the same with your computer.

now now, Probably had a Computer before you were born Sunny,I can do something with the performance of my computer but not to the Smart ,not Smart enough for that,but I see my sentiments are shared with a few others ,in other Words I am not the only Troll,thanks goodness.So keep on enjoying your 6l/100 of premium, Mazda for instance gives me 7l/100 at regular Gas, cost is less per Km, a lot more Car without the usual M.B. propriety.Been Member of the Sprint and other forums,same kind of people there so I just ignore your childish comments.

Evidently you are very new to the internets. When you scrap the smart you may wish to do the same with your computer.

Do you know what Scrap means ? Think about it.... No one is stupid enough to just scrap a 15.000 Dollar car come on give me a break I meant I'll sell it......Sheesh

Really going to SCRAP the smart, because it doesn't Measure Up? Sheesh

Edited by ve7joe

Do you know what Scrap means ? Think about it.... No one is stupid enough to just scrap a 15.000 Dollar car come on give me a break I meant I'll sell it......Sheesh

Discard or remove from service (a retired, old, or inoperative vehicle, vessel, or machine), esp. so as to convert it to scrap metal.

We do not know you, we take you at your word that you are not a liar, additionally we have no idea how stupid you may be. You did afterall, appear to have to come onto a car forum to find out why your fuel mileage is so poor.

The old turbo Suzuki beat the 451 we have all day long.....The issue I found is that once you get real world economy at 6.0+ L/100km, and with premium fuel at that, the 451 doesn't seem to be a car for long highway commutes, like mine. The cdi, even at higher speeds can get you 4.2 to 4.5... although it will start hitting 5.0+ if you get it up to 120 kmh for any length of time... but that's a diesel motor and arguable cheaper fuel than premium....I scrapped (traded) my 451 for a 2012 Impreza

I have been over at Fuelly.com and looked at their Figures and when I compare those to the ones people claiming to get in this Forum there appears to be a discrepancy which I noticed before, but was unable to confirm.

The Figures given for the 451 at fuelly, seem to match those of mine much closer and when I looked at those of the Honda and Metro it only affirmed my previous comments,that the 451 Smart does not live up to be a cheap car to run taking the premium vs. regular gas into the Picture.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/smart/fortwo/2010

fuel.gov would be an even better place to look for real world 451 mileage8.0 though is more a reflection on your driving style and short commute than a reflection on the car itselfWould you be happy at 6.5?

After the M.B. remapping of the Computer (Shifting issue) i was able to do 6.44/100 combined taking a trip to Salmon Arm and return plus a few Km in Town.I don't think that the Mapping made a difference , other than the shifting that is now almost perfect other than going still into 5th at below 60 and staying there.But time will tell,with the nice weather I do a lot of walking hence I have not re- filled my tank, this time strictly City driving. I am curious myself,so my Scan Gauge has to wait until another Tank, this one I will fill it to the top as usual and do my Math.Driving Habits? Yes and no,I still drive it like the typical European always have always will so there is no discernible reason why I was getting a better Fuel economy with my 2 Metros, Sprint ,Turbo sprint and Civic all of them heavier. Of course all had Throttlebody injection, and no catalytic on the Turbo Sprint.Loved to lay Rubber, so you know how I drove it. There are no Smarts on Fuelly .com that are getting 50/55 as claimed by M.B.not even near.And you know what I was using Regular Gas, End-result is always the Dollar per Km not the amount of Fuel.Once the Warranty runs out there are no aftermarket Parts r,meaning you cant go to Lordco or Napa to get your Parts.Even if you could obtain a Manual which of course you cant you need special tools even to change the Exhaust.So who else is going to service it M.B. if you have one in town and then they charge monopoly Prices.The only Good Part about the Smart is(not its Price)that your Fenders won't rust out don't ever have a Fire though that's about it .Are these Signs of remorse...... You bet they are.

I hear you, Joe. Sounds like the smart is not the car for you, mate.Bil :sun:

There are no Smarts on Fuelly .com that are getting 50/55 as claimed by M.B.not even near.

Not sure what Fuelly.com you are looking at. There are 41 2008 in this range, 21 2009, 3 2010, 10 2011, 8 2012, 3 2013. Many more are within a few mpg of 50 mpg.

Once the Warranty runs out there are no aftermarket Parts r,meaning you cant go to Lordco or Napa to get your Parts.Even if you could obtain a Manual which of course you cant you need special tools even to change the Exhaust.

Canadian Tire carries replacement parts for the smart. What special tool is needed to change the exhaust?