Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Caribou

Passing a Camaro ends badly

22 posts in this topic

Uncommon view of the underside of the smart car...

image grab from the Seymour Herald

Posted Image

B :sun:

Hmmmmm . . . . Safe passing practices needed perhaps. I am amazed more "California lane changers" as my son and his friends call them don't clip more tires. I have had some very close cut offs over the years and one was too close as he suddenly realized "OH, this is my street" as he passed me and slammed on the brakes. I could not stop in time and almost cut off the old tongue as I cursed him upon impact. Luckily, I had an off duty driving instructor behind me so HE was ultimately found at fault, even though I got the initial "Following too close" ticket. **** Warning **** Don't curse as you hit someone it hurts too much and I still can not taste sour almost 20 years later.

Let's hope that the Camaro driver didn't speed up in order to have a good look at the smart or, worse yet, decide not to let the lesser powered little car finish passing. If the 'smart' driver had in fact misjudged the safety margin for oncoming traffic, the Camaro driver should then actually slow to allow the passing car to re-enter.Fortunately no life-threatening injuries.

Let's hope that the Camaro driver didn't speed up in order to have a good look at the smart or, worse yet, decide not to let the lesser powered little car finish passing.

That's what i was thinking.

Given that the smart car is stitting on a double solid line, it is also possible that the driver was passing unsafely, or just being stupid. I checked out the pics included with the article, and can't tell if it is one lane with a wide shoulder, or two lanes where the car is stitting.Oh well, we can only speculate, but that is part of the fun of a community, wether online or in person.MG

I wonder if they really had to clip the roof off and fly her to hospital. Not sure on the environmental impact of that since she had non-life threatning injuries!

That's what i was thinking.

Ditto:smart car decided to pass, thenCamaro said "Hell no", thensmart saw the Camaro coming up on the inside, thensmart said "Hell no", thensmart pulled back in to the lane misjudging the Camaro's position.Nobody ask me why I am so certain about this scenario. :P

Okay Gent, why are you so certain about this scenario? Do you have a Camaro? :lol:

The smart's tires appear to be all narrow... I cannot see the wide rears..........except my moth......laws ooops!Garry

That's where a remap helps (or hurts) a bunch. While you still need to mash the pedal from a dead stop to have the pickup of an overloaded Yaris, on the open road a remapped cdi does catch an awful lot of people off-guard.

Jaws of life shots always make things look worse. Would have been neat to see the car pre-extraction.-Iain

Let's hope that the Camaro driver didn't speed up

The camaro driver did speed up, i talked to the driver and her husband last month, the car is for sale , asking $4000, had only liability insurance, smart will run, but shifter is stuck , the jaws of life cut the top off and even cut the speedometer, all glass broken, all 4 wheels have road rash, no good panels except tailgate,the driver worked in Pigeon Forge Tn, on her way home in Knoxville, she , driving fast, came on the camaro and proceded to pass, the camaro sped up and was in the blind spot, with the smart car blinkers on to pull back in, she clipped the front bumper with her right rear wheel, the smart went on its side and skided, then in ditch nose first, hit the bank in the windshield area, car upside down, back on the pavement on the other side, air bags never deployed, the driver had a bad cut on her head , thats the drivers story, i live about 60 miles from Knoxville Tn.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More