houseofdiesel

So How Many Clear 600kms A Tank?

300 posts in this topic

I just realized 600kms on my last tank, without the scanguage hooked up and not really trying terribly hard, it has been windy and rainy the last week or so around Ottawa so I know I can do MUCH better. Just wondering how many clear the 600 mark on every tank of fuel? I have always been in the 500 range, taking 17-18L to fill, I never see 20L on a fill yet, I live far away from Sunoco Gold so when I am near the pump I fill up. The car only has 15000kms to date, 06 Cabrio Pure. I usually have the top/windows down unless it is raining. I have yet to match my VW Passat's record of 3L/100km but I don't think the engine is "worn in" enough yet to see the low rpms that takes. Greg

Almost every one of my last ten tanks (since switching to Petro Canada diesel, and with ease since the new turbo went in in April).

I usually go 450 km but then again the lifetime is 3.9 on the old car so the important matter is how slowly you make fuel leave the tank (i.e. the L/100), not how much fuel you can squeeze into the tank!

Never for me. I might get as high as 550 once in a while but I just can't drive slow enough for long enough to hit 600Bobb

The closest I've gotten with my 451 is 510km, but 450 or so is usual when I hit 1/8 of a tank.

When I was wasting my time superfilling, I got four or five 600 km tanks....

Yeah, but I'm not wasting my time. It literally takes about a minute to get 26 L in from 0.0 or 0.5 showing. I do not wait-jiggle-wait-jiggle-wait.

I am only putting in 19 maybe 19.5L every fill, I don't run it empty the stations are to far away from home. I might realize 700 this tank, the hot weather really seems to help. I am not in a hurry, if I can get two weeks of commuting to work instead of 1 per tank I can drive slower...saves me time by not stopping!

I really wish we had the 33 L tank. I want range!-Iain

See the topic "Hamilton To South Bend IN"I went from Hamilton ON to South Bend IN. on one tank this last weekend.With 100km to go my girlfriend insisted I stop for fuel even thou the scan gauge said 140 plus till empty.I tried to talk her out of stopping be she didn't want a repeat of Ottawa where I drove around on a Sunday trying to find a diesel pump till I almost ran out.I know better for next time, because there is a diesel pump within 300 metres of her sons place.NO STOPPING NEXT TIME!!Hamilton to border 3.2 LHKBorder to South Bend 2.8 LHK

post-7238-1278635100_thumb.jpg

Yup, I have not exceeded 19L on a fill yet, and got 600 last tank, this one looks more like 650-700 but the bars are diappearing real fast as the kms rack up, I was at 395kms before half tank disappeared, that was a record for me by a lot. I haven't exceeded 90km/h this tank, most of it spent at 80. I keep on back roads and enconter two traffic lights, usually green and a few stop signs. No a/c, windows down, roof down, and no soft touch...

I really wish we had the 33 L tank. I want range!-Iain

Could be replace the 22 liter tank with the 33 liter one? Of course, M-B would want $1000 for the 33 liter tank but we might get one from a wrecker for $50 or so. Diesel would go in a gas tank but gas might not work in a diesel tank.

I continually clear over 800km, nearly 900km, now that I have the 33 litre tank in... The fuel gage appears to be fine, though I think I have a couple of litres more than it shows when indicating 5L and below.I posted how I installed the larger fuel tank somewhere else in here.Cheers,Serge

See the topic "Hamilton To South Bend IN"I went from Hamilton ON to South Bend IN. on one tank this last weekend.With 100km to go my girlfriend insisted I stop for fuel even thou the scan gauge said 140 plus till empty.I tried to talk her out of stopping be she didn't want a repeat of Ottawa where I drove around on a Sunday trying to find a diesel pump till I almost ran out.I know better for next time, because there is a diesel pump within 300 metres of her sons place.NO STOPPING NEXT TIME!!Hamilton to border 3.2 LHKBorder to South Bend 2.8 LHK

hat is this Scan gauge everyone is talking about? I want in! And how does it save gas and money? How much is it??? Anyone help me out on this topic please!Because I think I am lucky if I get 525 on 17L and I always let it go till it warns me that I only have the 5.0l left and then I stop. so I would love to get 600 because I drive 90km round trip to and fro work evey day which adds up 450km a week justfor work.CheersDerek Edited by derekbrochu

The member "smartzuuk" sells them here, and they work by providing real-time fuel consumption feedback to the driver. $150 I think. They also clear engine codes and let you monitor engine operation in any number of ways. Fun tool.

I regularly make 600 kms per tank, but then, 98% of my driving is non-stop highway. No traffic lights or stop signs to eat away at the mileage numbers. :)

I regularly make 600 kms per tank, but then, 98% of my driving is non-stop highway. No traffic lights or stop signs to eat away at the mileage numbers. :)

How fast do you drive on the HWY? Is it a 80-90km hwy or like a 100km hwy? Because I felt out of my league this morning driving to work going 95-105km on the 401 to work... but I am in no hurry it just feels unsafe to go that slow with everyone going over 115km an hour.

How fast do you drive on the HWY? Is it a 80-90km hwy or like a 100km hwy? Because I felt out of my league this morning driving to work going 95-105km on the 401 to work... but I am in no hurry it just feels unsafe to go that slow with everyone going over 115km an hour.

I drive on the 401 as well. I generally set the cruise at 105 kph. It's the same as big trucks and I stay in the slow lane. Now and then, I pick up a draft from a big truck which is going the same speed and direction. This also helps with fuel mileage. When I'm in a hurry, of course the mileage takes a hit, but that's rare.

The 401 in the morning (during rush hour?)...Nasty way to try and get good mileage, but the London area isn't as bad as trying to get great mileage during the same time period in Toronto.

I never ever drive at 95 kph on the 401 when traffic allows higher speeds. That is definitely not too safe.

A theoretical 500 is the best I could do, but I drive my lowered, remapped cdi ForTwo pretty aggressively. I do chicken out and refill at ~420 km on the odometer when the 5l warning pops up. I'm generally doing about 20 over most places, with occasional forays into 150 territory. 600 seems attainable if I had more self-discipline and/or respect for the law. ;)

What Leadwing said, almost verbatim. Mine is also remapped, but that extra low-end torque helps rather than hinders -- if you take it easy. However if I have to step on it (late for work, very fast, heavy traffic), FE takes a BIG hit.

I filled up after 543 km on Thursday at Mavis and Britannia in Mississauga. It was showing 0.0 liters in the tank on the 401 at Erin Mills Parkway. I often do 120 or more on the 401, and about 10% of the 543 was from driving around Cambridge. I had gone to a PetSmart to kill 15 minutes until another store next to it opened and ended up leaving with two 8 week old kittens!

HEY I just filled up and my L/100km was 3.9!!!!!!!!!! :D:D I broke the 4l/100km Mark!!! :D I can't beleive how slow i was driving this week though! LOL!!!! :P ANyways... This site has helped get below 4L/100KM with tips and tricks. Thank you guys!I am so excited about this!dennisc72 - Don't you find driving that fast kills your gas milage? Also how far do you go on 0.0L in your tank? I always start to get a little worried at 3.0L HAHA! :D

Edited by derekbrochu

Cool! Good job.Sometimes I'm surprised at how well I do on a tank, and other times I'm utterly gutted by a poor tank that I had expected to be a lot better. Any time I do better than 4.0 I'm very pleased. I hope this one winds up somewhere around 3.6, but who knows, next one might be a 4.7!