Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest slowpoke

Slowpoke is on board

20 posts in this topic

I live near Myrtle Beach South Carolina and my daily driver is a 2003 SVT Cobra convertible, my vainty tags are"VETBAIT" and I love cars and driving them. So looks like this gas deal is not going away and I trying to figure out my next move, I put on atleast 30K miles a year on the Cobra so I do a lot of driving. So I'm thinking MPG now and neat car..what do I buy. Then I stumble across the Smart Car..so currently I have paid the USA reservation fee and hope to be one of first owners in the USA market when it opens. So now I want to find out all I can. So I guess for most part I will lurk and ask silly questions, since I really don't know Jack about these cars

There's lots of material here!Would probably take about a year to read :biglaugh:, maybe better to ask a specific question....

Oh I will, just give me a time to read over some of these recent post, my biggest concern is will they take a daily beating a salesman gives a car and not fall apart

This is a great site to find out just about anything you want to know about a smart. So far my experience has been excellent but I'm only in for just over a month for now. The vehicle is sure a great way to start a conversation with total strangers who are curious about the vehicle. I still get lots of razzing from my pals but the biggest smiles are from me when I fuel up. Just can't beat it. :doublethumb:

Welcome to the club!The smart can take as much of a beating as a Ford I think, so that shouldn't be a worry. Depends what you'll be hauling around in it I suppose....

:welcome: Slowpoke,Just remember that Canada has diesel smarts and the 2008 US smarts will use gas. U can also mod the car like many of the people on this forum have done.See ya on the board and no question is too silly. Just ask!Regina

my biggest concern is will they take a daily beating a salesman gives a car and not fall apart

I have over 50,000 miles in 2 1/2 years and my Gina is standing up real well.She's a daily driver and just got back from a 3,000 mile trip through Virginia,Georgia and back to southern Ontario in Canada- SUPER RELIABLE!The 2005,2006 smarts scored very high in Europeon tests of reliability.The new 451 model is yet to take the test of time, and will probably have some glitches to work through, seeing as how they are using a new engine and tranny. If reliability is your biggest concern maybe you should consider buying one of the 2005,6 converted G&K smarts. You would spend more money but you would be geting the tried and true classic with a Mercedes Benz engine.The picture below is a G&K converted smart that is legally plated for use in the USA.

post-35-1180697447.jpg

Welcome to Slowpoke - another Carolinian! Looks like your dealership would be in Charlotte or down here in Charleston at Baker Automotive on Savannah Hwy. Smart will be in Charlotte on 9/20 and down in the lowcountry on 9/28. Exact locations are unknown at this time..

I like the handle. We are visiting your neck of the woods this coming fall Oct or Nov haven't quite got the dates marked out. My sister lives in Brunswick GA, other one in Port Charlotte Florida so we are hoping to visit both. Keep in touch if you want a look and quick ride, so to speak.Karen

Only thing I will be hauling around is me and a tape measure, I sell floor covering. So cruising at 60-65 mph is not a problem for these cars.

Welcome to the club slowpoke!! I'm a Smart Wanna-be too, living

in Florida. I keep playing with the idea of getting a modified (US)

current model but worry about warranty work.

I know that there is a dealer in Maryland & I also found one in

Palm Beach, Florida. Just a bit of a trek for regular warranty

work & I wonder about parts.

I like the interior of the older model & some of the colors are

fantastic!!

Posted Image

:smitten:

Welcome to the club! I'm glad you stumbled across us!The smart is very reliable... although i have had a few glitches along the way. My car has almost 60 000kms on it and its about 2.5 years old. The biggest issue i have had with it so far is that just about a month ago my clutch actuator decided to stop working... and lucky me I was in Montana when this happened, so I got a hefty towing bill back to Canada... but this is super rare, i only know of one other person who this happened to. Everything else has been smooth sailing really...DO you know what colour/model/year you want?

Actually I just gave the deposit on what they claim will be under 14K usa. I ordered the met blue /blk with grey interior. but from what I can tell they just want a reliable head count of initial sales so they can gear up properly. I probably will be offered what ever is available. But the disel really intres me so I might hold off if they plan intro of those models in 2008

At this point there is no plan to introduce the diesel to North America.

Crazy green people

Well with the impending purchase of my Smart Car, I guess I'm an out-ed green.Yes, I was a closet green for a long long time. I cared about the environment and man's mandate to govern it responsibly. But, like so many others, I was not about to let the more-politically-correct-than-thou crowd shove their way of life down my throat!I'll do it on my own terms thank you very much!I don't have anything against tree hugging - I just hate splinters.OK, OK, in case you didn't quite get it, all of the above was said in humor. If you find it offensive, please try to forget that you read ever read it. Also, switch to decaf (naturally decaffeinated of course).Beam Me Up Matt

you will find it hard to offend me..Yes I too respect the worlds problems which do need attention. but not through polictical posturing or gain. needs to be grass roots and actually well thought out. Right know you can follow the money and find out most of the hpye is money generated. They really don't give a rats about the real problems. Anyway I just don'y like supporting the countrys that want to change our way of living so I will get the most fuel efficent car to drive

Welcome aboard slowpoke, I have two smarts now and couldn't be happier. Lots of good info here, but once you get your hands on a smart, you never want to let go.