Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mkt

In other news, an update on my thoughts of moving to Canada

45 posts in this topic

^^:)Those of you that have known me know that I've been pondering for a few years the idea of immigrating to Canada. A chance to continue my restart in a country more aligned with my sentiments while remaining close enough to the US should I need to return to visit friends/family/etc. And not having to learn much of a new language ;)... what a dream come.Well, I just retook the immigration point test, and right now I stand at 71/100 points, with 67 being the minimum threshold for consideration. My previous attempts came in at anywhere from 57-68 pts, so this is a step in the right direction.I've decided to reapply in one-two years after completing my masters degree (+5 points), work experience (+1 point), improving my français (+2 points), and possibly a job offer (+10 points)To those americans that have pondered this (especially those that have succeeded), any suggestions, ideas, etc? At this point it isn't about getting out of George W. Bush-land. It's about trying for a better life in what I feel to be a more suitable country for me.

What are these "points"? Is it like some kind of test?Being on the inside I'm completely oblivious to what people have to do to get here.-Iain

here's a link to the test:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/ski...ssess/index.asp

my scores are:

Education 20/25 (I only have a bachelors deg)

Language Ability 22/24 (wow)

Work Experience 19/21 (not bad)

Age 10/10 (woohoo! I'm desirable:D )

Arranged Employment 0/10 (d'oh!)

Adaptability 0/10 (wtf?!?!!)

Total Score 71/100

my other options are to immigrate for a PH.D or other masters deg... or marry a nice wholesome (or completely dirty) canadian girl

If I did not already live here I would not be coming here.

It appers I am undesirable to the govt. :sniffle:

Wait that may be a good thing

The RCMP should be knocking on your door soon :biglaugh: You can't hide anything from the govt.......

I sort-of immigrated (lived overseas before I was 10), but since I've been a citizen since birth, just got the culture shock without the justification for said dislocation. However, my stepmother immigrated (from the UK). There was the whole "cross border dance"; she was living here (work permits), but you have to apply from outside the country so a friend of hers in the Detroit area got lots of visits. If you're already in the US, then you'll avoid that. Even though she'd got her doctorate here, worked here, and was in a relationship with someone here, it still took time. She's the only person I know who immigrated to Canada; I have several relatives who moved to the US, but that won't help you. Since you're concerned about your adaptability score-- which is really asking "would this person be comfortable here?" (ie knows the country, has family support here, etc)-- and you want to do a Masters, why not consider doing your Masters at a Canadian university? That will get you points for having lived here, it will mean future employers will know the school where you studied (unless the diploma's from big name-recognition schools, of course), and will also give you leads on jobs thus possibly getting you points in that section. As a bonus, even with the foreign-student charges, I think Canadian schools are cheaper than their American counterparts. (We don't have true elite/world-class schools, but our best are fully competitive with the next level down). Of course, it depends upon what your field is whether there's a suitable programme at a school here, but it's worth a gander. Bon chance, and I wish you all the best with this! P.S. If you're in Puerto Rico now... um, you do know about Canadian winters, right??? I remember some very traumatized classmates during their first winter here; they'd come from Singapore, Jamaica, Egypt, etc for school. Of course, most of them stayed, they found it bearable in light of what they liked about Canada, but it's still worth the warning (just remember: gortex and thinsulate are your friends). PPS. Cool, counting the 10 points for having a job here (obviously), I scored 99 (lost points for being functional, not fluent, in French). Just as well that I qualify given I live here :) Now, the real test for us citizens would be those do-you-know-your-country tests they give immigrants!

I got a 63 but I could pass by getting a job transfer as Serco run a railway in Canada somewhere.

It appears your on the right track then. :lookaround:

I have several relatives who moved to the US, but that won't help you.

I’m a US citizen…. Lol. Why would I wanna immigrate there?

Since you're concerned about your adaptability score-- which is really asking "would this person be comfortable here?" (ie knows the country, has family support here, etc)-- and you want to do a Masters, why not consider doing your Masters at a Canadian university? That will get you points for having lived here, it will mean future employers will know the school where you studied (unless the diploma's from big name-recognition schools, of course), and will also give you leads on jobs thus possibly getting you points in that section. As a bonus, even with the foreign-student charges, I think Canadian schools are cheaper than their American counterparts. (We don't have true elite/world-class schools, but our best are fully competitive with the next level down). Of course, it depends upon what your field is whether there's a suitable programme at a school here, but it's worth a gander.

I have a BA in tourism from the University of Central Florida, and I’m in the MFA program right now at Puerto Rico School of Plastic Arts (read: Fine Arts), which is the premiere institution in Latin America, and conveniently has US accreditation :D . The only institution in Canada I would consider for a second MFA would be NSCAD… but it’s ok, I’d probably go for an MBA, and those are pretty easy to find :D

Bon chance, and I wish you all the best with this!

Thanks!

P.S. If you're in Puerto Rico now... um, you do know about Canadian winters, right??? I remember some very traumatized classmates during their first winter here; they'd come from Singapore, Jamaica, Egypt, etc for school. Of course, most of them stayed, they found it bearable in light of what they liked about Canada, but it's still worth the warning (just remember: gortex and thinsulate are your friends).

I’m well aware ;) I was born in Boston, so I can deal with winter 

I got a 90.I ived abroad for much of my childhood, but that just cemented my Canadian identity even more.....

<chuckle> you might have been born in Boston, but you seem to have fled to far warmer climes for school! B-schools... 'kay this one I know rather well (MBA, Schulich, '96). York, Western, U of T all rank at the top in Canada according to Business Week and FT (http://careerdynamo.com/mba/mba_ranking/americas_mba_rankings.html), and some do very well on international rankings (http://rankings.ft.com/global-mba-rankings, number 27, 41, 29). When I was at York, there was an arts stream. Before you look into that, the big question would be, what do you want to do with tourism and fine arts credentials? Is there a particular job/career that you have in mind, or were you studying something that fascinated you and you figured that having a degree (in anyhting) would be enough for most of the jobs that interest you? What would an MBA get you that your existing diplomas don't? (other than, perhaps, a step towards citizenship). Is there a particular city that would suit your interests best?If you don't want to go into this on the 'net, that's fine, but just thought I'd raise some of the questions... recently went through a bunch of them myself, because I've just started another masters degree (it's distance ed, out of Waterloo, so it's convenient work-wise). With the rather eclectic bunch of smarties on this site, there's probably someone who can advice on pretty much any profession or degree field, either their own of that of a spouse/family member/close friend!

<chuckle> you might have been born in Boston, but you seem to have fled to far warmer climes for school!

Hehe… there’s quite a few Red Sox fans scattered throughout Canada as I’ve noticed in every single one of my travels north. And my accent could blend in fairly easily in say… New Brunswick <wicked chuckle> As for the warmer climates, I like surfing and theme parks. Not much of a choice to get this bug out of my system. And I also wanted to improve on my Spanish (I think I have)

B-schools... 'kay this one I know rather well (MBA, Schulich, '96). York, Western, U of T all rank at the top in Canada according to Business Week and FT (http://careerdynamo.com/mba/mba_ranking/americas_mba_rankings.html), and some do very well on international rankings (http://rankings.ft.com/global-mba-rankings, number 27, 41, 29). When I was at York, there was an arts stream.

I must note York. I was actually considering applying to NYU for quite some time during undergrad since they offer a dual MFA/MBA program, but being the devout masshole I am, I can’t go to New York :D Actually, I just didn’t care to go to New York. Older brother #1 did his MBA in Cornell, older brother #2 did his in UMiami, older sister did hers in Columbia, so there’s a pattern of the kids all doing MBA’s, even if they did other postgraduate education (OB1, AA, BA, JD, MBA; OB2, BS, MBA; OS, BA, MBA, PHD).

Before you look into that, the big question would be, what do you want to do with tourism and fine arts credentials? Is there a particular job/career that you have in mind, or were you studying something that fascinated you and you figured that having a degree (in anything) would be enough for most of the jobs that interest you? What would an MBA get you that your existing diplomas don't? (other than, perhaps, a step towards citizenship). Is there a particular city that would suit your interests best?

Honestly, my ultimate goal is to end up working as a designer for Walt Disney Imagineering in California, since I’m a total theme park freak. I’m opting for a much different path than those I know who have worked for WDI. Furthermore, I’m just so fed up with the US that I want to take 10-15 years to grow elsewhere before an eventual return to the states. Plus, Canada just rocks. I don’t want citizenship, but I am willing to pay the taxes and contribute to Canadian society. The cities in Canada that would be most conducive to this goal would be T.O. and Vancouver, BC since Disney has a rather decent R&D and creative presence there. Conversely, I have an inheritance spread across several high interest accounts right now would probably start my own studio in a mid-size or larger city close to the US border in order to capitalize on geography like I do here in PR (Most local artists try to get local clients. Since I’m fully bilingual in both English and Spanish, and have passable working French most of my clients here in PR come from St. Maarten/Martinique/BVI and the mainland US, giving them a better deal since I charge standard PR freelance rates in $USD as opposed to the rates that they are willing to pay, and since the service is being exported, I don’t charge taxes for my services to clients outside of PR). I’m aware there’s no shortage of artists/designers in Canada, so that’s going to be an obstacle convincing immigration to allow an artist to immigrate. Perhaps I can attempt to move my business (ie- me) to Canada to gain more points.Hell, who knows. Maybe I’ll move to Canada, meet a nice Canadian girl, and decide to settle down and establish roots there  Apparently, I have relatives in Montreal (I literally just found this out!), so the holidays shouldn’t be too lonely.

If you don't want to go into this on the 'net, that's fine, but just thought I'd raise some of the questions... recently went through a bunch of them myself, because I've just started another masters degree (it's distance ed, out of Waterloo, so it's convenient work-wise). With the rather eclectic bunch of smarties on this site, there's probably someone who can advice on pretty much any profession or degree field, either their own of that of a spouse/family member/close friend!

I’ve got nothing to hide  I appreciate discussion about this, as anything that can give me some insight is of benefit to me.

Hmm. If you were following in the footsteps of older brother #1, York's law school (osgoode hall) is the top law school in Canada, and there's a joint LL/MBA program (University of Ottawa's a major tech law center, and has a joint MBA program-- also has a joint international affairs program, while UVic's law school has a cool co-op option (BYW in Canada, co-op is the opposite of the US-- only the top students get into those programs, and it's seen as a major plus by prospective employers)). If your sights on Disney were for animation, Sheridan college is a top recruiting ground-- there's serious canadian content at pixar/disney/etc. For theme park creation expertise, I think I'll defer to the other theme park addicts on this site (I turn green at the very thought). Obviously, you're not interested in the engineering side, although there are some very good schools for that, too. How does the route you're taking differ from the typical one? And how would your route eventually take you to where you hope to go? In the meantime, what kind of artist/designer are you? Check the lists Immigration has-- there may be shortages in your niche. Worse comes to worse, could you continue working with PR clients even if you move your home/business to Canada? Oh, and if do go to York, I've read that they're extending the subway under campus, so the Bostonite in you would feel right at home with digging under your feet :) There's even baseball in T.O. ... and a pretense at hockey <evil grin>.

Hmm. If you were following in the footsteps of older brother #1, York's law school (osgoode hall) is the top law school in Canada, and there's a joint LL/MBA program (University of Ottawa's a major tech law center, and has a joint MBA program-- also has a joint international affairs program, while UVic's law school has a cool co-op option (BYW in Canada, co-op is the opposite of the US-- only the top students get into those programs, and it's seen as a major plus by prospective employers)). If your sights on Disney were for animation, Sheridan college is a top recruiting ground-- there's serious canadian content at pixar/disney/etc. For theme park creation expertise, I think I'll defer to the other theme park addicts on this site (I turn green at the very thought). Obviously, you're not interested in the engineering side, although there are some very good schools for that, too.

I’m definitely interested in the creative side… no law for me. There’s too many attorneys in the world, and my family has done more than its fair share to add to the plague ;)

How does the route you're taking differ from the typical one? And how would your route eventually take you to where you hope to go?

The typical route I know is go to school, move to California, work while going for an advanced degree in So Cal, then continue working for another company. When you personally feel you have your s!!t together, then apply at WDI and pray. I don’t know of a single recent grad to get in with WDI (animation is a different tale). They take the very best. I want to develop professionally in Canada before returning to the states, to California – I don’t want to move to California immediately and become a jaded Californian.In the meantime,

what kind of artist/designer are you? Check the lists Immigration has-- there may be shortages in your niche.

I don’t limit myself :) my skill set includes the major programs (Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, Indesign, Quark, Maya, 3DS, etc), most traditional paper mediums (Watercolor, Chalk, Carbon, Pencil, etc), photography, silk-screening/screen-printing, and more. I also have practical work experience with NBC/Universal doing freelance work for WESH-NBC and Telemundo. My personal art style is influenced by cubism and pop-art, and lately I’ve gotten a bit of an infatuation with Soviet-Propaganda Style (to the point that I printed out a batch of about 40 biz cards in various soviet-propaganda inspired designs)

Worse comes to worse, could you continue working with PR clients even if you move your home/business to Canada?

I could, but I would need to know more about tax liabilities/consequences in become a Canadian based contractor for a US/EU company. Also, with the US dollar… errr.. stinking, it’s rather attractive for my EU based clients to contract a “US based” contractor. I don’t how billing in $CAD would affect that desirability

Oh, and if do go to York, I've read that they're extending the subway under campus, so the Bostonite in you would feel right at home with digging under your feet :) There's even baseball in T.O. ... and a pretense at hockey <evil grin>.

Great… another big dig :D I was happy to move to Florida because of that. Honestly, as long as I can get a good dark beer (not Guinness, but maybe a Newcastle), I’ll be happy. Would I get lynched if say… I wore a Red Sox cap during a Toronto-Boston game?

In Canada we don't even lynch the Yankee fans :biglaugh:, you would be safe!

:lol: Wait. There's Yankees fans there?Oh well... it'll be fun :)Say I were in a large Canadian city right now and I were to go out to a bar to see the World Series tonight. Would I be cheering for the Red Sox by myself?

There are fans of all different teams around. Where I grew up Detroit was an easier drive than Toronto so the Tigers fans are many. My sis and I catch them when they come to Toronto the one time a year now (unbelievable for what used to be such a great rivalry) and we are definitely in a sea of Tigers fans along the first base line. This whole moving teams around in divisions which are supposed to be geographically logical really ticks me off. I think it would be hard to get a job offer before you come to Canada. In my opinion it's hard enough to get an offer living here. I guess it depends on what field you are in but it's annoying to lose 10 points for that. Is there really a halfway on that where you could get 5 out of 10?

In Canada we don't even lynch the Yankee fans :biglaugh:, you would be safe!

Say I were in a large Canadian city right now and I were to go out to a bar to see the World Series tonight. Would I be cheering for the Red Sox by myself?
I've been just about the only one I know cheering for Boston. In Toronto you have to be prepared to have the world series turned off when the Leafs are playing, unless it is 1993. not cool.

That's right! It's hockey season. Is it football and basketball season too? :DYou forget these things living in the Caribbean... lol. I know baseball season and the UEFA/England/Spain/Argentina football.. err soccer schedules.

I got 91...glad to know that I am a desireable immigrant! Worst mark? My french sucks.1 Education 25 25 2 Language Ability 24 16 3 Work Experience 21 21 4 Age 10 10 5 Arranged Employment 10 10 6 Adaptability 10 10 Total Score 100 92

HI Dan have you looked into Sheridan College in Toronto. I hear they have had more than a few grads go into Dreamworks. apparently Disney scouts there periodically.I'm 1/2 first Nattions so I didn't even take the test probably would fail anyway. My ancestors were here greeting all the first imigrants so I couldn't see the point.Jake however is an imigrant he took his citizenship test when he was little like 6 or so. so maybe he should look at it.Karen

The thing that dragged me down was age....and I'm not 50 yet!

That's right! It's hockey season. Is it football and basketball season too? :DYou forget these things living in the Caribbean... lol. I know baseball season and the UEFA/England/Spain/Argentina football.. err soccer schedules.

Canadian Football is coming to an end mid Nov. It's a subtle bit different from the US game, better in some ways. Lot of us are NFL fans too. In our house, we've been watching NFL since pre-season, we'll be watching on US thanksgiving and right thru to pro-bowl. Pet Peeve: in Canada we don't get to see those high-priced, high powered US commercials for Superbowl!

81/100. Age: north of 50; French: iffy. Being in business in the engineering profession, we are acutely aware of the growing need for skilled workers in trades and technology sectors (construction, design-drafting etc) but also in services, all sectors. The test seemed to favour trades skills over single-degree, and dual-degree higher yet.

mkt - obviously you know your way around here; you probably also know there are companies here servicing the likes of Disney, and that our high $ at the moment is starting to hurt exports of goods and services. If you come and set up a studio, know there are lots of experts on cross-border business, and lots of strategies for dealing with the exchange etc. You won't find much use for Spanish locally here but that skill will serve you in business. Make sure the hombres at immigracion know you're thinking of eventually investing in a business! When you get the chance, check out Montreal too -- it has a lot to offer, and you wouldn't have much trouble learning the French you need.