Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Da Shoumi

Should I change my struts every 80,000 km?

14 posts in this topic

Listening to a podcast about the automotive world in general, I heard that cars generally need new struts after 80,000 km, mainly for safety reasons. I've already heard the same story before, but from a different source.

My smart is currently below 75,000 km, but has been on the road for nearly 8 years. Keeping in mind that struts wear gradually without the driver being aware at once, I'm wondering if I should really follow this advice, and start saving towards the purchase of 4 brand new shock absorbers.

Any thoughts/tips/insights about this matter?

That rule holds true for some American cars, but European ones usually would get two to three times the lifespan from their shocks. Don't change them unless there is a known problem (bouncing wheels, leaks).

Point taken! Oddly enough, the podcast I was referring to is a French broadcast called "Auto Radio", from the RTL channel.

Reason why I'm investigating is that I'm having my alignment checked in a couple of weeks, due to a wrong steering wheel angle. So my initial thought was to put off this job until I have the shocks replaced.

Well the shocks won't affect alignment, unless the front struts are bent!

I've found European cars get between 200,000 and 250,000 Kms on their shocks, ball joints and tie rod ends. It seems to be the magic number. This is assuming the car hasn't been sitting for a while. I find that if the car has been sitting for six months at any time, these parts start to fail shortly thereafter.

Even North American shocks last about 150,000 when they are the originals. The replacements don't usually make it to 80,000 it seems.

I replaced mine at 279,000, they were still fine when i removed them, but thats just me.

One of mine front dampers developed lateral play at 190,000 km so now renewed.

LOL you guys with your magic cars and glass-smooth roads!

I had my front struts replaced under warranty after they had sweated out by 50k. By 100k the replacement set had leaked out completely and I dealt with the awful ride and handling another 25k until I replaced the full suspension last spring with the Bilstein B14 PSS kit. By that point I had one broken front spring and all four dampers had bled out again. Even my steering damper was destroyed, its hydraulic fluid coating the front end.

My German-made Mk4 Golf was no better, going through a set of front struts within 40k and the replacement set sweaty by the time I got rid of the car at 70000. My German-made Transporter van went through three sets of struts in 135k, and my wife's Accord needed new front dampers by 110000. Before the Honda, I'd never owned a car that didn't need at least front shocks by 80k.

The roads around here are horrible. They are all cracked and heaved from the frost.

Maybe you're not doing it right . :)

Depends on the roads. If its in city they'll take a beating and most likely need replaced. In my opinion if it's not broken don't replace them unless the money's burning a hole in your pocket.

The smarts I've owned aswell ones I've stripped and parted all of them were good except the one smart that smoked a deer and the BRABUS shocks that killed themself with being lowered. My coupes going to be retired soon but it's on its origonal struts @332k on Eibach springs since 220k.

My commute does mainly consist of city driving, and the pavement is pretty rough on either sides of the Ottawa River.

I've recently noticed some increased rocking motion when breaking hard or accelerating from standstill, stability at highway speed doesn't seem as good as it used to be, and the car occasionally looses grip when cornering (I can feel the ESP doing its job), and this happens on a dry pavement...

Anyway, I'll have a better opinion when I switch back to my summer alloys. For whatever reason, my smart doesn't seem to like the combination or winter tires I have right now - Blizzak LM 25 on the front steelies, and newer Blizzak WS at the back.

In the meantime, I'll be taking a close look at those dampers to see if they are leaking or something. Thanks for all your inputs!

Unless you are having an issue, wouldn't bother changing them.

On my 2 smarts, over 250,000 km on 06 and 130,000 on '05, all the shocks are fine.

Have replaced springs on both but thats all for suspension.

On '03 awd Honda Element had to replace front mcphersons last year and last fall rear shocks.

The right rear shock leaked out and the ride deteriorated immediately.

This vehicle has 249,000 km.

Just turned over 280K km. Second set is still feeling OK, but I suspect will go soft and loose soon like the first ones did at 160K.

80K life? Not really, double that is reasonable. Plenty of poor pavement in my routine.