Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartzuuk

Road Test: 2009 Smart fortwo Brabus

21 posts in this topic

A front pager to be sure...Source: http://autos.canada.com/news/story.html?id=1774935

"Cute as a bug," "one-half of a car," "pimped-out roller skate" - these were just a few of the dozens of comments I received or heard during my week with a Brabus edition of the Smart fortwo cabriolet. People just feel the need to remark. One woman in a PT Cruiser drew a heart in the air as we sat side by side at an intersection (no, I'm not nearly egotistical enough to think it was meant for me - despite my chiselled good looks).It's not that the car is new in Canada - Smarts have been sold here for the past five years - but its distinct and diminutive form continues to stand out. Brabus builds on the fortwo's already funky design with add-on bits to enhance the vehicle's performance, sportiness and styling. A sportier exhaust system, a tauter chassis and suspension and a body that has been lowered by 10 millimetres are all part of the package. The exterior has been emboldened with alloy wheels measuring 15 inches in the front and 17 in the rear. A Brabus emblem accentuates the fuel fill door and the name is affixed to the front and rear of the fortwo. A front skirt supposedly reduces front axle lift and the side skirts add a sporty appearance to the Smart's "tridion" safety cell. To accommodate the sport exhaust system, the rear skirt has a centre cutout to accommodate dual chrome-plated tail pipes. Two colours are offered - metallic silver or black. The Brabus edition also features halogen projector beam headlights, yellow side indicators and colour-keyed outside mirrors trim.A look inside the cabin reveals sport pedals made of brushed aluminum, velour floor mats embroidered with the Brabus logo, standard heated leather seats, power steering and additional dashboard instrumentation. At $24,900, the Brabus is only $3,650 more than a regular fortwo cabriolet - the smallest and least expensive convertible one can buy in this country. It's the way to go if you want to give the baby Smart a tougher, less cutesy look. But, if you actually want to "go," keep in mind that the same three-cylinder gas engine used in regular fortwos powers the Brabus. The one-litre motor, which is connected to a five-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode, pumps out a credible 70 horsepower, which, considering the cabriolet weighs a low 840 kilograms, is surprisingly peppy - at least around town. This is accentuated by the fact the Brabus's low centre of gravity, wide track and meaty rubber give the car the feel of a go-kart when cornering. However, passing acceleration at highway speeds is dependent on the steepness of the downhill grade and how much of a tailwind there is. Anything other than those conditions and it's best to stick to the right lane, although the fortwo is more than capable of cruising at 120 kilometres an hour on flat stretches of road. It's also worth noting that the little car is susceptible to crosswinds. On one blustery evening with the winds gusting to around 30 km/h, it took two firm hands on the steering wheel to keep the cabriolet in its lane.What makes the city driving experience less than ideal is the car's lack of torque - 68 pound-feet at 4,500 rpm - and the automatic's gear ratios. Left in Drive, the automatic naturally upshifts early to promote fuel economy. The problem is that the drop in rpm - especially from first to second and second to third - is so steep that the fortwo "rubber bands," losing momentum between the shift and then jerking forward in the next gear. My wife, who does not travel well, was far from happy. Using the console-mounted gear lever or the steering wheel paddle shifters and manually delaying the upshift mitigated some of the jerkiness but at the expense of fuel economy. While still frugal, my test average of 7.2 litres per 100 kilometres was significantly higher than Transport Canada's fuel economy averages. I can't help but think a manual transmission would work wonders for the car - if it would fit.Speaking of wonders, the power soft-top is positively brilliant in its efficient simplicity. A press of the console button and the top opens up like a large sunroof. A second press has it flip all the way down. Unfortunately, it bunches at the back, which can leave rear-view visibility issues. For complete alfresco motoring, the roof bars are detachable, stowing in a compartment in the dinky rear tailgate.Second only to comments regarding the Smart's looks were the one's questioning its safety - recent car-on-car frontal crash test results conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in the United States were on more than a few minds. All I can say is that Mercedes has engineered the car to be as safe as it can possibly be considering its petite size. Personally, I have owned subcompact cars before and larger vehicles around me have never intimidated. As a primary means of transportation, the Brabus Smart wouldn't be on my shopping list. As a second car, to be used around town as the grocery getter or as the family "pet" for top-down weekend jaunts (pack light), it has an infectious appeal. But the car's undulating power flow is a serious compromise, taking a measure of fun out of the driving experience.

Good article, fuel consumption is definitely a bit higher than what I had hoped for before buying the vehicle, but it is not bad.

Hopefully that mileage is due to mostly city driving.

Almost exclusively city.

if i had to do it all over again, knowing what i know about smart cars today, i would definitely get the gas brabus coupe. in my opinion, it is a great value (for a smart car). you get an upgrade exhaust, some bigger fenders to fit the bigger wheels and lowered suspension. the only thing i'm not super crazy about the current brabus smart is that it doesn't come in 'phat red'. :P:P:P

The Brabus smart is a great value car. But the exhaust is mainly cosmetic; the fenders are not any larger then a standard 451. The Brabus rear fender extensions are mainly act as a splash shield.

if i had to do it all over again, knowing what i know about smart cars today, i would definitely get the gas brabus coupe. in my opinion, it is a great value (for a smart car). you get an upgrade exhaust, some bigger fenders to fit the bigger wheels and lowered suspension. the only thing i'm not super crazy about the current brabus smart is that it doesn't come in 'phat red'. :P:P:P

Well, you can always swap the panels for the Rally Red! (That's the new red, not the orange-y red)

Agreed, and now with the $3K Smart Rebate as well as $500 loyalty rebate I often have a hard time not trading up for a Smart Brabus when I'm at the dealership...

Agreed, and now with the $3K Smart Rebate as well as $500 loyalty rebate I often have a hard time not trading up for a Smart Brabus when I'm at the dealership...

If you are willing to take a 50% depreciation hit on your 451 you can trade it in on the Brabus.And the loyalty bonus no longer exits - that says a lot about MBC.

Really? Other dealers, here even are still advertising it.And is anyone really surprised by the depreciation of new cars?

Really? Other dealers, here even are still advertising it.And is anyone really surprised by the depreciation of new cars?

Yes that's right no loyalty bonus in the GTA - at least that's what the Corporate dealerships told me in October after checking with MBC.50% depreciation in less than one year is normal? Sure if its a Chrysler or if you work for a smart Canada stealership. :lol: Are you saying that all European cars have depreciated by 50% after less than one year on the road? If thats the case I should go car shopping in BC. Edited by brd

Buy a $140,000 BMW 7 Series and see what the dealer offers you for it a year later.....One of the least depreciating cars was the Lada Niva 4x4: bought for $11,800, sold five years later at 90,000 km for $6600. Russian quality, say no more, eh?

My parents finally sold their 240 Volvo wagon a few months ago, for $5k, with 500 000+ km on the odometer. Purchased new in 1991 for $20k. That, I think, is great!-Iain

One of the least depreciating cars was the Lada Niva 4x4: bought for $11,800, sold five years later at 90,000 km for $6600. Russian quality, say no more, eh?

Booooo-YAH! LOL

My parents finally sold their 240 Volvo wagon a few months ago, for $5k, with 500 000+ km on the odometer. Purchased new in 1991 for $20k. That, I think, is great!-Iain

I had a 1988 Toyota MR2, purchased new for about $21k, it was written off in Dec 2005 with 320k on the odo. I received $4600 from the insurance company. I was only expecting $1000 at most.MG

Buy a $140,000 BMW 7 Series and see what the dealer offers you for it a year later.....One of the least depreciating cars was the Lada Niva 4x4: bought for $11,800, sold five years later at 90,000 km for $6600. Russian quality, say no more, eh?

so you're saying I can walk into a BMW dealership and get a $140,00 year old 7 series for $70,000 plus dealer markup of say 15%? Right.According to your view of the world I should be able to get a year old MB B-class for under $20000. Point me to the MBC dealership with such a deal and I will bring my cheque book.

so you're saying I can walk into a BMW dealership and get a $140,00 year old 7 series for $70,000 plus dealer markup of say 15%? Right.According to your view of the world I should be able to get a year old MB B-class for under $20000. Point me to the MBC dealership with such a deal and I will bring my cheque book.

It's pretty close. I got my niece a year old B200T for around $20k just in the past summer. Only 9k clicks. She loves the car. It's a far cry over a brand new Honda Civic that she was looking at.Mercedes-Benz is not so un-reachable these days. But of course, all these price adjustment are cause by unstable world economics; design life span of new cars; marketing plan; etc. etc.If you want to get into a Mercedes-Benz. Now is a good time. However I think the inventory has reduced almost 1/3 in the last 2 years as people cleaning up the bargains since the US dollar plummet.

luxury cars will have greater depreciation than lower models. For one thing, there are fewer buyers (until they're a good 5-10 years old and they're down to the level the rest of us can afford).this is the best I can findhttp://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/cto/1476825743.htmland no, it's not a Turbo, despite what the guy's title said. Those wheels look like B200 wheels.Here's anotherhttp://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rch/ctd/1480759958.htmlOne from an MB dealerhttp://www.mercedes-benz.ca/index.cfm?id=3043I'm actually surprised at the prices of these. Low $20s for what is essentially the same model that's only 2-3 years old, still under warranty and lost 1/3rd its value.Our 5 year old Camry XLE gave us $19k. Original MSRP was $32,795 plus PDI and taxes.

It's pretty close. I got my niece a year old B200T for around $20k just in the past summer. Only 9k clicks. She loves the car. It's a far cry over a brand new Honda Civic that she was looking at.Mercedes-Benz is not so un-reachable these days. But of course, all these price adjustment are cause by unstable world economics; design life span of new cars; marketing plan; etc. etc.If you want to get into a Mercedes-Benz. Now is a good time. However I think the inventory has reduced almost 1/3 in the last 2 years as people cleaning up the bargains since the US dollar plummet.

the market in BC must be different than the GTA and Canada east of Manitoba. Up until October I was looking at wholesale auctions and I can assure you that not a single year old B200 (that wasn't in an accident) went for under $20k in the east. Edited by brd

Its always worth while to buy 2nd hand cars from Vancouver. Typically our cars are clean and low mileage. And cars like Mercedes-Benz are well taken care of under warranty within the first 4 years. I was in the automotive trade in Toronto for 15 years prior retiring to BC. Condition of a typical 5 year old Mercedes are better then a 2 year old in Toronto. Under body is still moist; paint still lust.I was shock on the condition of one year old smart from Toronto that comes to me for service and upgrades.

Yup, there are more reasons to live in BC than just the beauty of the land and people, and the relaxed lifestyle.....;)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More