Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,057 posts in this topic

Took Bruised for a wee trip on the 401 (100kph plus) during a particularly heavy rainfall yesterday.  Suddenly heard a loud "crack" on the window.  I thought it was a rock hitting my window, but no, it was one of my new wiper blades coming off.  I got two new blades a week ago and they have a weird lever-type action to lock them to the wiper arm.  I noticed last week, that one of the levers had raised up and thought it was just not originally installed properly.  Pressed it back into place and continued on my way.  I  posted photos on the type of lever, but the brand name escapes me at this time. (tossed out the original packaging right after purchase) ........ (These were $30 each Bosch wipers)

I recommend that NO ONE buy these blades.  I had to revive a method I used when racing using a thin wire to "safety-wire" nuts and blots and wired both levers closed.  The blades themselves, work just like any other new wiper blade, but losing one on a high speed highway in the rain is not what I needed.

Smart wiper fix 01.jpg

Smart wiper fix 02.jpg

Coffee & Donuts with Uncle Glenn this morning. Changed over to the Winter Tires/Rims. Oil & Filter Change. Air Filter. Clutch Actuator adjustment and re-teach. "Sally" is officially "Winter-Ready".   

1 person likes this

Day off work today.  I did 18 miles cycling off road yesterday, so I'm pooped and spend the day indoors reading.  Therefore, the Turdis has remained asleep in the garage.

One thing I did do was pay £10 for full Evilution access.  Superbncaluenfor such an excellent resource.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, TheHandyHobbit said:

Coffee & Donuts with Uncle Glenn this morning. Changed over to the Winter Tires/Rims. Oil & Filter Change. Air Filter. Clutch Actuator adjustment and re-teach. "Sally" is officially "Winter-Ready".   

Glenn said i missed you by 20 minutes...damn!   Oh well...maybe next time.

I took the steam green machine back to it's previous owner for a visit....we had a good chat and brought her in for a look see....as i thought she's in great shape....picked up a few exhausted to weld up for him and also took a front crash bar to copy and make a front tow hitch from. So I can use a tow bar on, not sure if the feable materials they used are strong enough to be used to tow the Smart on or not? So just as easy to make a solid bar same as the rear one and weld in serious bolt attachment points. I was going to simply cut the passanger side tower off the gifted bar and reweld it onto mine so I would have two threaded holes to use. I had a semi relaxing long drive home to rethink that plan. It's made for single pulls from ditches etc IMHO, and not to be used as a tow the vehicle across the country even thow many do, tow points.....again it's designed to crush under impact with crush zones, which tells me it's made to colapse and not for strength. It's sacraficial item...so a new stronger version will be made in it's likeness.

I had a great time with Glenn again and thanks for lunch buddy.....loved it.
Thanks

2 people like this

The bumper bars are aluminum, and are meant to absorb energy in a crash. Replacing them with rigid steel means you’re potentially limiting your own survival in the event of a crash, or possibly inflicting greater damage or injury on the occupants of another vehicle, a pedestrian, or a cyclist. 

If it isn’t already, modifying bumpers – including making changes to the suspension that alters the height of the bumpers in any significant way – should be illegal. Bumpers are engineered to perform a specific purpose for the safety of all road users. Defeating them is criminal. 

1 person likes this

Hmmm.....and so is loosing a vehicle while towing it from a non safe location.....but I see where you are speaking from, the saddle of a bicycle...

Hmmm...have you seen the front bumper bar at all...? It's not the same as the rear.....it won't bend when in contact with a bicycle or anything of similar weight.

I also wouldn't be too concerned about doing anything to a smart car in respect to it being a leathal weapon for anyone, unless you think adding blades etc to the bodywork is a good idea. The vehicles I would be more concerned about are the ones that are already 3 or 5 times our weight and already have bumpers twice the hieght of a smart car's bumper. 

Edited by smartzuum
EDITED BY MODERATOR

I'm speaking from the perspective of a motorist, a pedestrian, and a cyclist. You know... a road user. Don't make assumptions about my intentions.

Edited by smartzuum
EDITED TO REMOVE PERSONAL BANTER
2 people like this

Well, erm, on a completely un cycling related topic I'm an advanced road skills, off road skills, SAR, safety and defensive tactics cycling instructor and I got a client on Monday, so spent 10 minutes clearing out the boot and getting the Turdis ready for my gear.

ENTIRE POST REMOVED BY MODERATOR

Edited by smartzuum
EDITED BY MODERATOR

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Well, erm, on a completely un cycling related topic I'm an advanced road skills, off road skills, SAR, safety and defensive tactics cycling instructor and I got a client on Monday, so spent 10 minutes clearing out the boot and getting the Turdis ready for my gear.

Where ya going to put his cycle..?...lol

Just kidding...lol

What do you do, for said client? 

Thinned the herd, from 3 to 2.

Sold the ‘06 Canada1 Brabus Concept Smart 450 #1 of 4 to a club member in Toronto.

All good things must end, and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the car for over 7 years.

It was time to pass it along to another appreciative owner.

I hope he’ll have the same kind of fun and safe driving that I had.

Now it’s time to wash and detail the Grandstyle.  It’s been a bit neglected during this sales process.

And also get the ‘05 Passion out for some much needed exercise.

2 people like this

There is a minimum level of civility that must be respected in these discussion forums.

2 people like this

21 hours ago, Willys said:

Where ya going to put his cycle..?...lol

Just kidding...lol

What do you do, for said client? 

This client is an older gent.  He took a bad fall off the bike earlier in the year and broke some ribs and injured his knee.  I'll be coaching the basics (which most bicycle riders don't really know properly) and then doing a short 15 or 20 mile accompanied ride with him, let him practice his new skills and get a bit of confidence back.

As for the Smart...filled up today, latest MPG is 62.9 Imperial.  Good for most Smart owners, butmpoor by my standards.  I think the colder weather, longer running on the cold-running map is knocking it a bit.  I may have a more serious play whith grille blocks in the week.  

Other than that, she's an absolute joy at the moment.  I'm really digging Smart ownership, and the full Evilution access is making fascinating bed time reading this week.

Edited by Chopper

Steering UJs lubed.  The 450 1/2 bonnet mod made access to the lower UJ a doddle.

Edited by Chopper

Yesterday, had a go at cleaning up scrapyard injectors, easy enough to see what was what......so took all 3 out of the beater, labeled them, soaked them in ultra-sonic cleaner for 30 minutes.....they look brand new now from the outside and also under best magnifiers i have....but now to take them to bits and clean them internally. I watched an hour of some old English guy do his on Youtube....so I'm now an expert!   Doing old one first then the near new ones.  Today also need to go fetch 20 new crsuh washers from stealership which may be interesting....I'll take the lube....lol  Also ordered a couple of high pressure fuel pump rebuild kits and a bunch of key blanks and fob electronics ready to rekey both Smarts with new items. Also to have a few spares kicking around incase.

One other thing I have done is install grease nipples to the wiper pivets seeing as they seem to get no lube from anywhere and die a slow death! Worked like a charm!

2 people like this

Ordered a front wheel and tyre off Evilbay to use as a spare.  Have sorted out a bottle jack to nestle inside it.

Finally got around to seting my wipers in the upright position on the summer car, seeing as I'm still driving it.....augh!  Ready for the snow IF I am forced to drive it instead of said Winter Beater......son of a BITCH..!   I even washed it and rain-X'ed it just before it got rained on...lol

Speaking of the beater.....I have it's injectors on the bench, disassembled and numbers recorded to see if I can buy new nozzles for them...or clean them up in ultra-sonic cleaner now everything is apart. 
I watched a youtube clip of someone opening the solenoid by simply hooking up 12V to it and shooting carb cleaner through the jets. DON'T DO THIS....!!!!!   Our solenoids do not like 12V and carb cleaner blasted through them....they fry themselves!  I fried one solenoid, it was the test dummy old one from the scrapyard, a good thing!  So tomorrow I'll heat the cleaner back up and clean the insides the safe way!...lol.  Once they are cleaned I'll reinstall them and do a return flow test to see if that tells me anything about the nozzles and needles. They test perfect ohmn wise also.   I think the nozzles are dirty is all. so a good soaking and then installed and plenty of cleaner run through them.

I really would love to be able to buy new nozzles and needles for them, and if so, I'd get 6 ready for the summer car. I see no reason why we can't buy them and rebuild them ourselves instead of this massive cost for rebuilt versions or new.
So if anyone knows where to find nozzles and needles I'd love to know also. Thanks

1 person likes this

Loads on ebay her in the UK and Europe.  Even shipping them over I guess it'd still leave you quids in?

15 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Loads on ebay her in the UK and Europe.  Even shipping them over I guess it'd still leave you quids in?

do me a favor and find these then please.....DSLA 155P863+

I just want the nozzle and needle not the whole injector new or rebuilt....and must be non chinese junk. So I have been warned about, bad machining etc.
Thanks

£58 posted (to a UK address) on eBay.co.uk.  Supposedly genuine Bosch jobs.  I don't know how that compared to local prices for you.

If you're really desperate and have PayPal I'd be willing to order them, and then post them on if needs be.

Edited by Chopper

smart failed to start.  Starter on order for the 451 but may only be a wiring corrosion issue.  Now I just have to find a local mechanic available to do the change.  Driving around in a 2016 Jeep Cherokee, so very huge but the heated steering wheel is great.

3 hours ago, Chopper said:

£58 posted (to a UK address) on eBay.co.uk.  Supposedly genuine Bosch jobs.  I don't know how that compared to local prices for you.

If you're really desperate and have PayPal I'd be willing to order them, and then post them on if needs be.

Can you link me the ebay page...?  Please.

Yes, I'll do it when i get home.  I'm currently at work and the Boss thinks I'm working very diligently and hard - if only he knew!

1 person likes this

22 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Yes, I'll do it when i get home.  I'm currently at work and the Boss thinks I'm working very diligently and hard - if only he knew!

Thank you.    now get back to.......ebay...???    work...???

1 person likes this