Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart65

Why Mazda Is Betting its Future on Gasoline

13 posts in this topic

Why Mazda Is Betting its Future on Gasoline

While others look to hybrids and EVs, Mazda is refining the gasoline engine for the next 30 years, and keeping the manual transmission alive.

Written by Bob Sorokanich and published by Road and Track on Nov 30, 2018.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/los-angeles-auto-show/a25356804/mazda3-skyactiv-x-future-internal-combustion/

1 person likes this

I personally can not see in the forseeable future a complete disconect from the oil style engines, no mater how good these electric vehicles become. It just won't happen imho., You can sneer, get upset or totally disagree with it, but it simply won't happen. Sure it will happen within the urbal areas where distances and usages are so short  and you have the availability of charging stations wherever you park. These things simply will not be available at the same dencity in rural areas as the urban areas will have. So, there will always be  a market for the typical gasoline powered machines of some sort. It's about time they released the super high mileage engines i'm sure they have been sitting on for decades.  Myth or legend I'm sure there is something to be shown in this regard. Engines that get incredible fuel savings and have been shut away to force us to use far more oil etc as a method of transport. Also a far better refined fuel will result in better running engines. Europe has always had far better vehicles with far better performance stats than North America. So far it was down to a better refined fuel ... But as the newer  technoloies get a stronger foot hold they will be forced to bring out far better machines  to compete with the efficiencies of the electric vehicles.  We have had cars etc for how long now.....since the late 1800's maybe and how much have the vehicle actually matured for that time span? I think we have been stifled  from getting what is really out there. Just to keep the oil industry so profitable. Now they are seeing a switch away from oil and into something else, so they are desperate to keep us using oil, thus bringing out the big guns fuel range wise, vehiles that get incredible fuel stats to compete toe to toe with other sources.
I could be completely out to lunch but time will tell.....why has Mazda chosen this route? They aren't a splash in the pan company...they too could easily go the alternative route and prosper with the others....so WHY..?

" I could be completely out to lunch but time will tell..... "  :unsure:

1 person likes this

58 minutes ago, jwight said:

" I could be completely out to lunch but time will tell..... "  :unsure:

LOL....can you see gasoline being errased within the next 30 years...?  I can't, so why not corner the market for those who don't want or can't benefit from the new technology...?
You may not agree with it, but it doesn't mean neither of us is incorrect...lol    OR the fact one is that much better than the other..?

All I know is I'll be driving my 1966 Peugeot until I can't drive anymore, then one of my kids will get it.

44 minutes ago, Willys said:

LOL....can you see gasoline being errased within the next 30 years...?  I can't, so why not corner the market for those who don't want or can't benefit from the new technology...?
You may not agree with it, but it doesn't mean neither of us is incorrect...lol    OR the fact one is that much better than the other..?

No, gas will still be with us in 30 years, but fading away.  I'm still waiting for the engine that runs on water and the 100 mpg "carburetor" I've been hearing about for 50 years to finally surface.....:You know, all that technology that "big oil" is keeping from us.  :D

Swirl magnets!  The snake oil dealers have so far stayed away from EVs....

1 person likes this

Mazda is such a small company compared to Toyota and Honda, they just don't have the R&D budget to invest in hybrid or electric propulsion, so they've been applying creative engineering to figure out how to squeeze the most out of the internal combustion engine. I love how they've succeeded in achieving things that much larger companies haven't even dared try.

I dunno about your side of the pond, but the political backlash against Internal combustion is huge here in Europe.  Some countries here are banning ICE engine sales as early as 2023.  I can't see much of a market for ICE cars over here by 2030, and if the buyers don't switch willingly then clean air zones and punitive taxes against ICE will twist their arms for them.

Here in BC, the provincial government has mandated that all

light duty vehicle sales will be zero emissions by 2040...

I refuse to take my last ride in a Saturn hearse.

It’s got to be something burning gasoline that takes me to where I’ll be burning natural gas.

It’ll be kind of like going out with my own chosen, personalized bang (exhaust, intake, compression, bang, exhaust, etc).

My 6 speed manual CX-5 is a rarity - a 2016 model, only available with the under-powered but frugal 2.0 litre engine and front wheel drive. And done away with for the 2019 model year.

Mazda keeps suggesting a diesel is coming to North America, but it never appears.... I doubt we will see one at all, and why in a Mazda3??? It was supposed to come in the CX-5!

I will look forward to trying out one of the new AWD Mazda3 sports, but we're not sure if it will be paired with the 2.5 turbo even.... an engine that will only come on the very highest end car of well over $30k Canadian, so I don't think it'll make my list.

I'm more likely to land a used Mazda3 GT of some sort in the future, auto or manual, as long as it was looked after. My friend's 2005 GT sedan with AT is flawless at 200k.

1 person likes this

Hmm...

I think the new SPCCI engine debuting in the new Mazda 3 is genius. Of course, I'd still wanna see fuel economy figures as well a review of its driving characteristics to validate my opinion. 

With diesel cars becoming a rarity, a gasoline engine that operates very much like a diesel is the closest we will get in the near future to driving a diesel again.

I've seen a similar motor from Achates Power with their 2.7L opposed piston compression three cylinder gasoline engine that they demonstrated in a pickup truck a while back. Not sure when that goes into production though & with who.

The new Mazda 3 with the SPCCI engine in FWD & a manual would make a very good contender as a replacement to my aging Fiesta next summer. The main problem I have with it is the frustrating infotainment system Mazda uses. First world problem, but it's still a major factor in my next vehicle.

If Mazda were to ever take the plunge into EV or hybrid vehicles, I think an SPCCI engine would work much better in an EV with range extender setup than the traditional gasoline motors did for Chevy's Volt or the BMW i3 & i8.

Eddie

Edited by Eddie Eddie Eddie