Frinjamin88

New Key fobs!

23 posts in this topic

The orginal two that came with the smart were very badly worn out. The buttons are actually gone lol. So I ordered two off ebay including the blank key but do I need to go to a local Benz dealer to have them cut and programmed? What's the usual price damage on that?

Stay blessed!

Lol actually it's just a shell and blank key. How hard is it to swap the components into the new cases from my original fobs? Last thing I want is to mess up and have no working fobs lol

I forget whether you have a 450 or 451.  The key on the 450 can be copied at your local hardware store.  If it is a shell only, in theory you can put the old guts into the new shell easily but not all shells are of the same quality.  If the new fobs have the transmitter in them already try contacting Willys, he has a Star machine and might be willing to program the car to accept the new remotes.  If he will do it the cost will be a fraction of the dealer charge.  

Nigel

Edited by Nigel
1 person likes this

49 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I forget whether you have a 450 or 451.  The key on the 450 can be copied at your local hardware store.  If it is a shell only, in theory you can put the old guts into the new shell easily but not all shells are of the same quality.  If the new fobs have the transmitter in them already try contacting Willys, he has a Star machine and might be willing to program the car to accept the new remotes.  If he will do it the cost will be a fraction of the dealer charge.  

Nigel

Thanks! I'm in the 450. The shells I picked up seem decent. Anything is better at this point then pressing on the metal to lock/unlock on the fob.

I have done 3 for my winter beater, so I know it's possible to program them with my STAR. I also found out you can drill out the blade of the key and exchange it into a new fob if you were so inclined. I got 3 old keys from wrecks from the wreckers.....so thought if i could reporgram them I could use them as spares IF I could exchange the blades. I saw somewhere you can buy just blades also.....so IF the chinese fobs aren't as good as the factory I can use the factory fobs with new blades. The only issue would be having to epozy the blade into the fob....if you are against that small issue then this information isn't any use to you so to speak...lol.   As nigel says, I'll bet I'll be far cheaper than the dealer for reprograming fobs...lol

1 person likes this

Do not drill out. Those that are sufficiently Smart simply immerse in hot water to soften plastic case. Blade then pulls off easily. 

2 people like this

6 hours ago, tolsen said:

Do not drill out. Those that are sufficiently Smart simply immerse in hot water to soften plastic case. Blade then pulls off easily. 

Thanks, good to know for next time....someone with all the information needs to semi publish a book stating all these helpfull tid bits as well as a service and maintenance book....no copy write issue seeing as there isn't one to copy...no..?   It just boggles the mind this is the first vehicle I have owned in my lifespan that there wasn't one somewhere written for it.

Yes I know I'm a diniasaur and likes the printed page, but dang it's so much more usefull than a virtual one.....imho.  Even if to simply jot additions and suggestions in the margin for future referances...lol.

Am I that old...and past due date..?

Willys.  You’re retired and younger than me so I nominate you to do the book.  Every time  tolsen posts copy and paste it into your book.  I think in about ten years you should have most of his wisdom copied down then you just have to organize it.  

Nigel

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Willys.  You’re retired and younger than me so I nominate you to do the book.  Every time  tolsen posts copy and paste it into your book.  I think in about ten years you should have most of his wisdom copied down then you just have to organize it.  

Nigel

The issue would be my spelling and english grammar skills, being what they are....people would be too upset with those to fully grasp the importance of said publication.....lol......?????

I have many brand new fobs and two of them have new guts and one has the old electronics in it...all work well. So far....lol. I bought half a dozen new fobs complete and half a dozen cheap chinese fobs....the cheaper versions have very stiff buttons compared to stock versions. So if the push buttons still operate well simply keep those and not use stiff versions. I haven't cut any keys  so can't speak to that part of the fun.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Frinjamin88 said:

Has anyone swapped the guts into new cases? I have terrible bad luck with fobs. Two dead dodge caravan fobs later lol

i have..the fobs id bought were pretty decent quality

it was the only way for me since i dont have an mb star or whatever those fancy programs are to do the keys

apparently the delphi 150e and/or wow wurth snooper can program the keys but i only managed to kill and luckily re-animate the one working fob with it while trying to program some other ones (once i got the only working one working again i decided to just quit while back at the start)

for key cutting i was lucky to pick up a cheap used foley belsaw cutter for $40

1 person likes this

I have one fob and both the rubber buttons disintegrated in the first 2 months I had the car.

So I had some old worn out electrical alligator clips. I cut the rubber covers off 2 (one green, one red), cut a circle a few mm bigger than the hole and crazy glued it on the inside. The alligator slip covers are rounded and bulbous so they stick out nicely and they have been working great.

i tend to do these sort of dumbass yet functional fixes.

fob.jpg

Edited by Toxophilite
1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Toxophilite said:

I have one fob and both the rubber buttons disintegrated in the first 2 months I had the car.

So I had some old worn out electrical alligator clips. I cut the rubber covers off 2 (one green, one red), cut a circle a few mm bigger than the hole and crazy glued it on the inside. The alligator slip covers are rounded and bulbous so they stick out nicely and they have been working great.

i tend to do these sort of dumbass yet functional fixes.

As long as they function properly ............ bonus!

does anyone know if I can reprogram the key I got from my parts car 450 to function in my driver 450? or will it not reprogram to a different vehicle??

Yes the remote will work.  Bring all your remotes with you for programming as any not there will get removed. 

Nigel 

Edited by Nigel
1 person likes this

the STAR system can do up to 6 fobs at a time.....pretty sure that might be enough even for the old farts like myself....or should i say my wife who is now leaving keys anywhere...!

1 hour ago, Flyhyguy said:

I’m guessing you need the car physically present to program the fob to the SAM?

Yes it has to be plugged into the STAR machine......to re-program fobs.

9 hours ago, Flyhyguy said:

I’m guessing you need the car physically present to program the fob to the SAM?

8 hours ago, Willys said:

Yes it has to be plugged into the STAR machine......to re-program fobs.

I don't know about with the Star, but with a Smart Pro from Advanced Diagnostics you need all of the keys present to code them, any not present and reprogramed will not work afterwards.

Edited by gtjunk
1 person likes this

52 minutes ago, gtjunk said:

I don't know about with the Star, but with a Smart Pro from Advanced Diagnostics you need all of the keys present to code them, any not present and reprogramed will not work afterwards.

It's basically cutting new keys and changing the locks on the car and ign.   So if you don't do all your fobs as said they won't be able to open doors or ign afterwards.

The STAR is capable of doing 6 fobs in one go so to speak, but each fob has to be spoken to by the STAR and SAM.....who needs 6 fobs...?...lol

1 person likes this

For anyone looking for the plastic housing replacement on the key fob... I ordered a cheap one on Amazon.com. Snapped together just fine without the circuit board. Had to do some trimming of the plastic posts that support the board, or it kept wanting to pop open once everything was inside. You get what you pay for.