Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave&Maybel

My Smart's got a Boo Boo

16 posts in this topic

While driving in the snow and slush yesterday in London and making a left turn on to Southdale from Wellington I got smacked pretty good (bad) by a southbound car in the intersection. Accident was my fault as I misjudged the effect of all the slush and the power of the smart and was committed to my turn before I realized things were going bad. Oh well life goes on. Anyways, my smart ('05 450) took the full brunt just behind the gas cap. It took the impact amazingly well. The back passenger wheel is twisted on an angle and there is some other damge, mostly to the plastic and light. I am sure there is more that is not readily apparent. There was no airbag deployment as the impact was far enough aft. Thank god my wife (who is pregnant) is OK. We were on the way to a Doctor's appointment and all is well. Damage is so far estimated at about $3500 but that is just from the police reporting station. No pics...sorry. Car is at Burweell Auto Body on Yorke and is being assessed tomorrow. Bottom line...car held up real well and my wife and baby are fine. So no complaints.

Sorry to hear it. Also sorry to say your wallet is going to take a big hit once damage to the suspension, engine, and tridion are fully assessed! Or at least, that's what I think from reading stuff on here. (my only source of education)

So sorry to hear the first smart accident of the season. :o Glad everyone is fine at least till the shock of the bill comes in.Did you have the snows on yet? this snow sure caught us all off guard.stay positive.Karen

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Photos please when able if you are so inclined as we can learn a lot about our cars from collision damage. Cappytanjack ...

The snow kind of came out of the blue...just a reminder to everyone to get those snow tires on now....even if it is supposed to be 15 tomorrow,

So sorry to hear of your mishap. Glad no one was injured.Do give me a call when your in London and we could meet up at Timmies.

Very sorry to read of your crash, Dave, and glad that you and family are all right. We were out very early on Wednesday morning to drive into London when hardly any plowing had been done. However, we took our big car with 4-wheel drive. As we came out of the village some fool who had been tailgating us had to pass, but didn't get any further ahead, though he tailgated a truck all the way to Fanshawe Park Rd. - tailgater!Traffic was really heavy coming into town when we headed back home. - heading north on Richmond St.We saw one car off the road on the way in and 2 on the way back about an hour and a half later. - Ilderton Rd just north of 9 Mile Rd.Hope that the repairs go well and are covered by insurance. Best wishes!----- Alberta

Thanx for the se ntiments folks. I am going to London again today. Will try to get some pics. Will keep ebody updated on total damagesd. Cheers, Dave (and Maybel)

After the accident we had in London back on October 29th, we finally got our smart back a week ago Monday. I am currently working in Trinidad and haven't had a chance to see it yet. My wife assures me it is as good as new. The bill was just a tad over $6000. Insurance covered 5k thanx to a high deductible. Oh well. While the body shop (Burwell Auto Body in London) did excellent work, it took them over a month to fix it. They lied to us continually on the phone about parts arriving and what not, changed their stories several times and would not return phone calls. It was a very frustrating experience. They were not a "preferred" auto body of my insurance company and I used them, contrary to their advice. I can see why they are not "preferred" My mistake, but will never happen again (hopefully won't need to). Since the accident was near the rear, engine work needed to be done and was done very well by MB in London. My thanx to them. All in all everything worked out fine. The smart is great, nobody was hurt and were back on the road again. It was quite a shock driving the rental Trailblazer that was provided for us. $80 fill ups are no fun. Dave

Glad that your car is now fixed up again though by a frustrating and lengthy process. Maybe we'll see you at a London area gathering sometime in the next few months. ---- Alberta

Burwell is a top notch A/B shop, I've know Paul and John for 15 years. My wife hit a deer 4 weeks ago and the parts just came in yesterday. They had been on order with M/B London since 2 days after the accident. Preferred Collision is fixing mine because they are my customer and friend and are around the corner from me. The lies you where told are probabley from M/B and not Burwell because I am going threw it also. Pat at Preferred calls me daily and lets me know what story they have told him about where the parts are. I might be wrong but at least you know your is fixed properly.

I agree that is fixed good. It was not MB that we were dealing with about the specific issues it was Burwell. They'd say we just got your parts yesterday and its going to be such and such til its done. Then my wife would call back and get a totally different story on when the parts had arrived with a new estinate for completion. I'm not trying to bash them, they were just very difficult to deal with. I personally won't be using or recomending them.