Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SoulSurgeon

The Verdict: Will I Ever Buy A Smart Car Again?...

24 posts in this topic

Hi guys,I've been mulling over posting this for weeks. My wife and I are very upset. Our vehicle repair bills are killing us. Took the 2006 CDI to NorthStar automotive in Barrie last week. We were told by our Tire guy (just bought a new set of all seasons...$550) that our alignment is out and that our Snow tires (2 years old) AND our old All Seasons are done.We've noticed black smoke shooting out the exhaust pipe under the car. Turns out that there is a big split in the muffler..which is also a catalytic converter? Mercedes part is $1200...aftermarket is $600.....Went to get alignment done. Busted spring, one tie rod is gone.....and a bunch of other stuff ( I didn't take it in, my wife did...and this what she told me...I am calling tomorrow to get the mechanics feedback).Sticker on plate expires in September...and there is no way we are going to pass emissions test.When I first bought the car in April 2009 for $10,500....we had hoped that with a $500 chiptune, we would be bombing around all over the continent saving lots and lots of money...albeit in a very slow (chiptuned I am getting 15.5 seconds to get to 100kph...it used to be 19 seconds pre tune) crammed uncomfortable car that children point and laugh at daily. Instantly we noticed a crunching sound in the wheels and a warning light kept flashing on and off. Took it to Mercedes...$2000 repair bill. $1000 of it was under warranty. I remember talk about an Axle being replaced. We were left with the bill for $1k and I fought with the dealer who sold me the car to split the difference with me.We then had a problem year later with lights coming on again all the time. I don't remember all the details...but basically Mercedes wanted $4000 to fix our car. They wanted to replace the turbo which was "leaking". We instead took it to Northstar and they inspected it saying the spots Mercedes claimed needed work were in fact not all that bad.There were several days last year where the snow was so high on the roads, that I couldn't drive.Pretty clearly....we made a bad investment. We rolled the dice and came up 1's instead of 6's. I may have he most fuel efficient car in town...but I pay a lot to have that title.Do I fix it? Sell it? Or drive it off a cliff?Help!

I purchased my '05, 4 years ago with 94,000 kms on it. Other than regular A and B services by Uncle Glenn, the only expense I've incurred (other than fuel) is replacing my alternator (my own fault). It now has 170,000 kms on it and still running as strong as ever .. even stronger! I agree that the amount of money spent on your car is way over the top. Taking it to an MB dealership is part of the problem because of the high cost of service and parts. Finding someone in the area who is competent on smarts would have been a help, but obviously, there are more issues with your particular car than mine for instance.

I DO have an '06, but it would be unfair to compare since it has relatively low kms (30,000)

These cars were not designed as deep snow busters, so if it is up to your knees, then it is probably wise to leave it at home until the snow plows have cleared the roads. If you live in the "snow belt" area, then clearly, the smart might not have been the right car for you, especially if it is your only vehicle.

Before I retired, I had a Jeep for those days that I felt the smart wouldn't be suitable. I was up and at work long before the snowplows were out and doing their thing. In the last 4 years, I only really 'needed' the Jeep 3 times.

+1 on the suggestion to sell it. Even a Honda CRV would be a better choice. Your mileage will be nowhere near as good as the smart, but the lower cost of maintenance and repairs will more than compensate for the kind of money you are currently spending on the smart.

You bought a car from Mercedes you pay the Mercedes price for servicing. . I'd sell it and get a simpler car.

I think the questions asked in post No. 1 surely are rhetorical....it is self-evident from the penultimate sentence what should be done.

If you are not mechanically inclined and able to work on the car yourself, then the smart is not the car for you.Canman

Buy/lease a new vanilla car from Japan and get rid of it when the warranty is up.Or do a better job researching your next purchase.

Just by way of comparison, we bought our 06 smart privately about a year later than the original poster. It still had about 3 months of warranty left. During that time, a similar small turbo leak and a chafed air intake hose were replaced. Later the A/C connectors were replaced (under warranty) with upgraded type because original type had leaked for second time. More recently, we had th 3-bar issue which was incorrectly diagnosed/ First as clutch actuator, then as clutch pack, then as harness. Finally the problem was found to be the engine module. That in the end cost me $2000 because of MB goodwill on parts and warranty on clutch repair (Something that dealers offer which was beneficial in my case)During recent service, dealer highlighted several potential problems and quoted $1700 if they all had to be done. Decided to check myself and found that all that was needed, was new front springs and brake pads, plus a little maintenance on rear brakes. Total cost to me was $250.So, for mechanical repairs, our total cost in 3 years has totalled about $2500 incl tax. On top of that we bought a new set of tires $700. We were fortunate to have other items covered by warranty and goodwill. Normal services added about $900. Total cost over 3 years adds up to $4100 or $1367/yr. Comes to about 19.5c/km. Fuel about 5c/km. Depreciation not known (yet); say about 14c/km at present. Total driving cost 38.5c/km. By comparison, this is what Revenue Canada consider reasonable:

The automobile allowance rates for 2013 are: 54¢ per kilometre for the first 5,000 kilometres driven; and 48¢ per kilometre driven after that.

My numbers are a bit misleading because warranty/goodwill repairs are not included. However, car now has many new parts which should reduce future maintenance costs. Depreciation going forward should also be lower. Another factor, is that we only have done 7000km/yr. Those driving more would reduce cost of ownership in c/km even with more frequent need for service and items like brakes & tires.I don't think you really need to do your own work, but for basic work it will reduce ownership costs. Having a good relationship with a dealer is also beneficial and for our smart we took that route (as opposed to our other Benzes, which I maintain myself)We have our smart for sale, but only because we need a new long distance car and it has higher value than our 98 E320 which is our current LD car. Someone buying it will get a good smart! Edited by Graham

clearly you bought a lemon and should cut your losses and sell it.Generally these cars are not aging well and the cost of MB service is preposterous. They do a lot of repair by replacement - throw a code for boost over pressure? replace the turbo assembly (rather than lubricate the wastegate actuator). Oil leaking from the intercooler area - replace the intercooler and turbo. Clutch not working well - replace it instead of adjust it. Reluctors cracked? Replace the axle. It does get very frustrating for anyone who doesn't do their own work. If you are a shade tree mechanic and listen up in the tech forums the car can be maintained for a lot less than the MB shops want. But that definitely is not for everyone.I don't blame you for going after the selling dealer. Most of what you are describing (with the exception of the black smoke thing) are well known and should have been spotted during safety inspection. Not a safety issue but you want to believe they would have spotted that stuff if they were doing a B service after you bought it.

Hi guys,Thanks for all your feedback. I have adjusted my attitude with some education. I've been using my car as a touring Vehicle. Long distance trips, vehicle loaded. Here are some highlights...;Barrie to Burke Virginia and backBarrie to Quebec City and backBarrie to Tobermory, to Manitoulin Island, Espanola, Sudbury and back....not to mention probably 100-200 trips to Toronto and back.Smart cars are really designed for "light urban chores". This is how I should have been using it. Now I pay the price.I am fixing it. Springs, brakes, and alignment. Not replacing Muffler/exhaust. I took it for an E test and passed flying colors.I decided not to buy the Mazda 3 speed...or any vehicle. I'm on pace to make about $10,000 less in income this year, even though my sales are up 30% That's Capitalism! Bottom line...can't afford to do anything but make what I have work for me for a bit longer.Cheers,SoulSurgeon

Life is too short to hate your car, so my advice is to cut your losses and get an old Corolla or Civic.

I agree the op should get a car more suited to his needs. It is strange that I have found the exact opposite though, my car likes the longer trips better than the around town stuff, difference in cars I guess. Selling the smart and getting an equivalent value Corollla or Civic would probably be a better way for him to go though.

I have to disagree with the 'light urban chores' comment (just my opinion, I have my flame suit on now..)

We have 2, both purchased used.

The 06 coupe now has about 213,000 km on it. It is my regular commuting car to midtown Toronto (170km round trip).

The 05 cabrio only has 103,000 km and is the fair weather weekend car.

I am not a licenced mechanic but with help from this site and others like Evilution, I have done various repairs on the cars.

I have tinkered with cars and bikes for years but I also do things like use torque wrenches.

These cars need regular oil and filter changes ( I do mine at 5k intervals )

I add diesel fuel conditioner on each fill.

Mercedes parts prices are not outrageous in my mind compared to other brands.

I put snows on in winter (dedicated rims, cabrio is parked over winter), anything over mild snow I have a 4x4 diesel pickup that gets used only when I have to go to work.

The cars have been as reliable as any I have owned and are comfortable.

My previous car was a Subaru WRX, excellent highway car but my fuel costs were $150 in premium fuel every week.

This coupe has paid for itself over and over.

Would I buy again? Absolutely if another diesel.

Not every car is right for everyone, op probably should sell because of issues.

just my 2 cents.....

As I said in my last message mine has been best as a longer distance commuter car, it has been quite reliable for me ( the worst time I had with it was when I wasn't driving it longer distances every workday), it does have its quirks but every car does, I do think the OP needs a different car for him, I don't think his smart is holding up for what he needs it to do and he probably should get a more common car for his use, the smart is not for everyone. I would get another diesel, or if my commute shortened enough I would consider the electric as well, the gas version does nothing for me, though maybe the next generation will be of interest.

What ever you do, DO NOT DRIVE IT OVER A CLIFF. It could be dangerous to your health. Push it over!

and I would like to know where he got the price of $1200 for muffler, last one I bought was $550 from mb.....my coupe exhaust has a split in the seam. Permatex makes an exhaust an muffler sealant which works well.eventually I will buy a new one but for now, it works.

my coupe exhaust has a split in the seam. Permatex makes an exhaust an muffler sealant which works well.eventually I will buy a new one but for now, it works.

(OT) That stuff works great! I put it on my Jeep's exhaust pipe as a quick fix, but it's worked so well that I'm just going to leave it until something major rots out.

I just had MB in London replace my exhaust under warranty. My car is a 06 with 114000km on it. I had to complain 3 times before they would do it, time well spent.

That's how I did it, 118k on mine. As mentioned elsewhere, they poo-pooed the suggestion the first couple of times, the service adviser going so far as telling me there is no catalytic converter on a diesel. I got the service department foreman involved, and had him look at the soot and feel the pulses of exhaust coming out of the seam on the right side, directly below the catalytic. I showed him the sticker under the carpet that says "CATALYTIC CONVERTER"! Then I sent him the diagrams and cutaway photos from this site and others. The next morning I got a call saying it is 100% covered.

I find Benz dealers to be horrible, for price and quality of service. I only take them to service there for stuff covered under warranty. I do my own oil changes and brake jobs among other things, because I know I'll do it correctly and thoroughly.I took my ML320 to the dealer once to get the rear brake pads replaced and I ended up with a bill for $1200! They charged me $260 for a new battery + install and the rest was for the pads. They said it was a lot of work because they were stuck, give me a break! I took my CLK55 to them too to get the AC fixed, they charged me $2000 and it still didn't work. They said they couldn't figure it out. I haven't been back since.

With the smarts I do agree if you don't do the work yourself (or have a good local guy) and you have to go to MB with every problem that occurs it would cost you an arm and a leg. The 450's are give or take 8 years old and every part is ageing no matter what the milage is, the little buggers are going to need more and more tlc as time goes along.I had a bunch of nightmares too at MB, Im not sure if anyone went to MB Barrie but its dead awful I even had a law suit with them and won. I only do my own work on my cars from now on and the only time I go to the dealer is only for parts. If you have the time, skills and proper tools its totally worth it.

Nah. I don't think I'll buy another one. Despite all the convenience, the economy, and the FUN, its not worth the hassle to run it below -30. Its bloody cold inside even though the engine warms up just fine in the half hour to town. Then its the same old hassle to come home. Also, while I'm not bad with a wrench, it seems that anytime I have to do some work on it I've got to go to town to buy another damn tool. And parts gotta come from 1500 miles away.Resale value kinda sucks, so we'll probably just drive it 'til it dies, then park it in the back of my '54 Ford RCEME dump truck and use it for driveway bling.The best part of owning a Smart car is Club Smart Car.

The best part of owning a Smart car is Club Smart Car.I agree. I still perk up when I hear a diesel smart rattle by, but spend more time on this website.